Tools & Equipment Required / Used

As noted in other blogs, I seem to be making good progress without the use of many tools so far but thought it would be good practice, and of benefit to future builders, to list the tools I've actually used and in the orde rthey were required.

Again this is based on my build programme of working on the body first, then ordering the rolling chassis as is the norm with a Mk IV GDEURO build.

I will endeavour to update this section as the build progresses.

1. Something to Stand the Body

Useful for keeping it off the floor and at a nice hight for working on. Im lucky that I have a big three vehicle workshop so I don't need a moveable stand. What I built was a sturdy timber frame

Note cross braces for rigidity

2. Wet n Dry Paper

This is needed for rubbing down the flashlines. I started with 400 grit and worked progressively to 800, 1200 and 2000. The plan is to use 2500 prior to final polish but I wonder if this is really necessary?

Also essential is a good quality rubber sanding block. I also bought a 'tear drop' sanding block to use on the curved sections as hand pressure isn't sufficient to smooth the flashlines completely



3. Hole Saws

Useful for cutting holes for stop/tail lamps, indicators and side repeaters.

I used the GD recommended 30mm for the stop/tail and indicators but I would recommend using a 32mm if I were to start over.

25mm was used for side repeaters (which are still to be fitted)

Im about to order a 64mm for the sterring column and a 45mm (for something else - but cant recall what at this point!)

4. Rivnut Tool & Rivnuts

Although the GD build notes say its ok to use self tapper in a number of places, reading other blogs I am happier to use rivnuts of varying sizes and have just ordered a  Rivnut Tool and selection of Rivnuts ranging form M4 through to M8.

These will be used to secure a number of components in place such as Heater Unit, Extended Footwell Cover, Wheel Arch Access Covers, etc - more on this later

5. Socket Set

I have just started to fit the doors. A socket set will be most useful in fixing the bolts in place behind the 'A' pillar where it would be hard to reach with a spanner.

6. Dremel

This is essential and is used for cutting holes of varying shapes and sizes as well as being useful for sanding and fettling.

If you buy one go for one with the Circle Cutter attachment no 678-01 - its worth the price to save the aggro cutting the headlamp apertures alone


7. A 90 deg Adaptor for the Drill 

To allow it to get into those hard to access areas





No comments:

Post a Comment