Screen

The next big job to crack on with is fitting the windscreen. This seems to be a job that once completed will allow me to get on with a bunch of other tasks too, such as the dash support, dash under trays, dash wiring and fitting the steering column.

As the body isn't fully prepped and polished, I thought it would be best to finish off the scuttle prior to fitting as it would be easier than trying to polish around the screen once fitted.

Right back at the start of the build I had invested in a DA Meguires polisher and some Farecla cutting compound and polish so it was time to try it out.

I had rubbed down the scuttle using 600, 800 and 1200 grit wet n dry paper and had hoped that the polisher would do the trick from this point but I was still able to see some fairly deep looking scratches, particularly in the black stripes. Thanks heavens I didn't have a black car.

Using the DA for the first time
As this hadnt worked as well as I hoped I had read that the Farecla can be used wet or dry. So i wet the head of the DA and went to work... This was the next of my cock-ups!!! With no bonnect fitted the polish was sprayed all over the place including all over me and the engine. Yet more cleaning will be required now :(

Using DA with a wet pad - very messy!!!

To make matters worse the damn scratches were still showing. I will now need to order some more wet n dry of finer grades before trying again.

No comments:

Post a Comment