Oil Cooler 4

Having fitted the oil cooler radiator in place, it is time to find a suitable method of fixing the thermostat in place. This is connected on both sides by two thick braided hoses one to the oil cooler rad and the other to the adaptor that fits between the oil filter and the engine.

The thermostat needs positioning so that the hoses don't foul on anything that moves or is hot and the ideal place in on a  bracket mounted to the nearside front chassis members that support the wishbone.

I made a template using thin card held in place then folded around the chassis members. I then cut along these fold lines to create a template that I could transfer on to a thin piece of stainless I had brought off a local stockholder.

The template was cut to size and clamped in place to mark the position of the fixing holes and then returned to the bench for drilling along with the holes required to attach the thermostat to the bracket itself.

Once I was happy with this I then clamped the bracket back in position and drilled pilot holes through into the chassis.


This is yet another job I should have done before the body was on as access was awkward to say the least!!!

After drilling the pilot holes, I then gradually increased the size until I cut fit rivnuts and attached the bracket.


The thermostat was then fixed to the bracket and the hoses attached. Overall I'm quite happy with the set up but I think the front hoses need to be shortened a little as they dont sit quite right at the front of the car. Ideally I would use some 45deg adapters to ease the angle at which the hoses connect but given the price of them I think I'll make do for now!!!!

Job Done


No comments:

Post a Comment